Frank Lutz is a major strategist for the Republicans, and he recently met with supporters to discuss the dangers of the occupy wall street movement. To quote Frank "I'm so scared of this anti-Wall Street effort. I'm frightened to death." It warms my heart, I have to admit. The point of his statement was that conservatives need to alter the language they use in order to neutralize the effects of OWS, which are, and I quote again, "They're having an impact on what the American people think of capitalism." Apparently it is not that popular anymore.
So in the coming weeks people should pay particular attention to how Republicans are speaking, which words they are avoiding and which they are using instead. Here are some specific ones to watch out for. Such a fun game!
1) Capitalism is out. Economic Freedom is in!
2) The middle class are now hardworking taxpayers.
3) Few people want jobs. Most people want CAREERS.
4) Government spending = waste (though I assume this does not include the military)
5) Real men don't compromise. They cooperate.
6) We no longer have innovators or entrepeneurs. We have small businesses and job creators.
7) Forget taxing the rich, everyone is for that. Government is taking from the rich. Ah, it's a longshot.
8) And if approached by an occupier, say "I get it." That will shut them up.
That ends this lesson on Orwellian Doublespeak. Until next time.