Friday, February 8, 2008

John McCain: Flip-Flopper

"The fundamental question is: What is the United States’ interest in Iraq? It is said we are there to keep the peace. I ask, what peace? It is said we are there to aid the government. I ask, what government? It is said we are there to stabilize the region. I ask, how can the U.S. presence stabilize the region?... The longer we stay in Iraq, the harder it will be for us to leave. We will be trapped by the case we make for having our troops there in the first place.

What can we expect if we withdraw from Iraq? The same as will happen if we stay. I acknowledge that the level of fighting will increase if we leave. I regretfully acknowledge that many innocent civilians will be hurt. But I firmly believe this will happen in any event."

Ok, so I made a few changes to the above speech by John McCain in 1983. I changed all of the references to Lebanon with references to Iraq. The thinking behind the speech is the same however. The US had nothing to gain by going into Iraq, and everything to lose. Why the sudden change? Why does John McCain suddenly support a war in the middle east, with no benefit to the USA and plenty of costs? I wish I could explain this about face, but I cannot. I think he was right the first time, and has completely lost his way.

McCain talks about the US being in Iraq for the next hundred years. I highly doubt the USA will continue to be a nation for that long if it should choose to squander its' resources in such a foolish way. The economy is falling apart, and the reason for that is painfully clear. The US is spending too much capital, economic, diplomatic, and military, on a conflict with dubious goals. Even if Iraq were eventually to form into a democracy, is this the way to do it? Other areas of the middle east are already heading in that direction, without the need for violent conflict.

Clearly John McCain is going to be the Republic nominee. Can he beat the Democratic nominee? It seems unlikely, since the hard-core conservatives seem to have decided he is not conservative enough. Some ask what their option is. Will conservatives vote for a Hillary or Obama? Not likely, but they might decide to just not vote. That seems very likely. I personally am happy to see that conservatism is dying in the USA. Unfortunately I do not see a resurgence of liberalism happening. I see a move towards the middle road, where no one stands for anything.

No comments: